Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Heart Touching Memory of Past

What started off as a small blog with just 6 family pictures based on a principle of matching an old photo with the present day setting, has now turned into highly successful site of digital nostalgia with hundreds of submissions from all over the world.


The idea about the project came to a 22-year-old Ontario-based Taylor Jones completely by accident. He was going through his parents’ old pictures and in one of the photos he saw his brother, sitting on the same kitchen table like Taylor was then. Taylor held the photo up in front of the table and took a new picture – in only 6 weeks, the response to this idea worldwide was overwhelming, with millions views and hundreds of submissions on Taylor’s site.

One year later, Taylor took the idea offline, and released a book. Here are some of our favorite and most heart touching dear photograph picks.

Dear Photograph, I’m so proud my boys childhood dreams were made of bravery, honor and valor. Fifteen years later, dreams really do come true. Nancy.

 
Dear Photograph, I wouldn’t be who I am today if i didn’t have the sounds of music in my life. Rachelle

Dear Photograph, At the time it was not common for a man to walk behind a pram. I’m still proud of my father. Eva Willemier Westra

Dear Photograph, For one brief moment, this murky little duck pond became the most beautiful place on earth. Greg

Dear Photograph, Our wedding was our sweetest day, just like Grandma’s chocolate. Onno

Dear Photograph, Dad never took a picture of me, ever. Then I noticed his reflection in the glass.Happy Father’s Day, Dad. Anonymous

Dear Photograph, Letting go of my mother’s hand the first day of school was always the hardest. Liz

Dear Photograph, I told you there would be better days. Joel Witte

Dear Photograph, I’ll always remember my first fish. Brian Thurman

Dear Photograph, Over 25 years later, the house is still blue and my mother is still looking over me. Alexandra

Dear Photograph, Remember when we decided to see if shrink wrap would hold my brother Joe to a tree? This made us laugh so much! Annie Enderle

Dear Photograph, It was only 2 years ago, while gardening with my family and children at the St. Mary Organic Farm, that my son Alex, age 2, ran up to this tree and hugged it. I quickly snapped a photo, thinking to myself, ”awww… he’s a tree hugger”. Then, just like that, he leaned in and gave the tree a gentle kiss. Three days later, on September 17th, 2010, Alex died unexpectedly in his sleep. Now when I look at this photograph, and look into his eyes, I see he is hugging the tree just like he would hug his mother’s or father’s leg whenever he ran to greet us. With his little arms wrapped tightly around the tree, he seemed to be listening in a very comforting and knowing way. This image of Alex is what I referred to immediately after his death and it has given me the solace to know in my heart that he is exactly where he is supposed to be. Valerie

Dear Photograph, Oh, to be young again. Wizemark

Dear Photograph, West Point is where we first pretended we were soldiers. Forty years later,we’re both army veterans. John and Rob

Dear Photograph, Eight years ago our world rejoiced when we said “I do”. This year, my first without you here, I know the heavens rejoiced too. I’m so glad I had those seven years with you because those seven years will define who I am for the rest of my life.Miss and Love You Always, Brandi

Dear Photograph, I still remember every moment I spent with you that summer. You always thought we were just friends, but to me, you always meant so much more. A year and a half later and now you are my valentine. Happy Valentine’s Day!Your Boyfriend, Louis

Dear Photograph, Thank you for reminding me that if I wait just a little longer the seasons will always change. Love, Nancy

Dear Photograph, It was 70 years ago when my mother dipped her toes in Lake Cavloc, Switzerland along side her father and sister. Beauty was all around them and so were the echoes of youth. My mother’s view has changed now that she lives in a nursing home. Wouldn’t it have been something if the waters they had danced in had washed the fountain of youth over them… Peter

Dear Photograph, I was astounded, but I hadn’t had time to consider what I was seeing. Mark Yokoyama

Dear Photograph, My grandpa doesn’t recognize me anymore, but he still smiles every time I show him this picture. I hope that deep inside he remembers how much I loved hanging out with him.. Love, Laura

Dear Photograph,There’s a reason we had to paint these stairs blue. They just weren’t as colorful without these two. mohocreative

No comments:

Post a Comment